Mission and Outreach
Church of the Holy Spirit has a long history of service in the community, supporting seniors and also people facing addictions, homelessness and hunger. Currently, the church provides
- Thrift Shop – well-stocked second-hand store “recycles” clothing and household goods at low cost
- Summer Carnival—free admission to community families for fun, food, and games
- Breakfast with Santa—breakfast and gifts for local children who wouldn’t otherwise have presents
In addition, CHS provides space for other community groups:
- The Monday and Friday Soup Kitchens, run by the Greater Fall River Community Soup Kitchens, were housed here until Summer 2019
- Saturday Kitchen on the 2nd and 4th Saturdays
- Monday, Tuesday (women) and Thursday night Narcotics Anonymous Groups
- Tuesday evening women’s Alcoholics Anonymous group
Church of the Holy Spirit is part of a 4-church cluster around Fall River that is experimenting with new ways of working together. In 2018, Holy Spirit joined St. Luke’s, Fall River, Church of Our Saviour, Somerset, and Christ Church, Swansea to create the Southcoast Youth Group. The Multi-Parish Retreat at the end of October now includes all four churches. In 2019, three churches participated in the Easter Vigil held at Church of Our Saviour.
In addition, Church of the Holy Spirit is starting conversations with neighboring First Congregational and First Baptist churches to see how the churches might be able to share resources for outreach and mission.
Children and Youth
Children and youth are considered full members of our community. They are welcomed at worship services. Older children and youth can serve as acolytes (lighting candles, carrying the cross, assisting at communion) or readers. In addition, Church of the Holy Spirit is part of a collaborative youth group that meets several times a month for fun and service projects.